Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Formula1 chat

+14
Spunky
the83man
rocket63
Atthelimit
dpr59
eclat22
GrumpyBodger
NickO
Trigger
Simon Hough
TimS
Paul D13
tashuka
A7ESK
18 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Re: Formula1 chat

Post  TimS Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:23 pm

GrumpyBodger wrote:Mercedes, Brawn & Schumacher. Quite an imposing line up.
Other than that a practically fully developed Car (Brawn) apart from the Regulation changes.
2010 Will truly sort the Drivers out with the elimination of refueling stops & all of the associated Tactics.
But I wonder if it will be more interesting for us mere Spectators?

John

Yes you're right there John, although the cars will be a lot heavier at the start then should get quicker and quicker so could make the race develop as it goes on - maybe more interesting for us Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_question we'll have to wait and see, but at least we have a Lotus to look out for, two top Brit's in the same team, and a UK race - so all in all it should be good if at last we can see them overtaking each other.... then that will hold our interest Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_exclaim Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_exclaim
I visited the Mercedes engine plant in Brixworth (used to be Ilmor) recently on business. As you would imagine, the cleanliness and attention to detail is fantastic. Every machine is painted the same colour whether it be a Mazak, Wickman CNC, Hardinge or whatever, including the floors to match. In reception all is silver, black and white with a McLaren F1 car hanging from the ceiling above your head and huge trophies lining the walls. Everyone is in smart corporate wear. The display engine shows just how small it is, with lots of carbon fibre and a tiny clutch about the size of a saucer. Anyway, hoping to get some orders from them so I'll have an excuse to go there again.
Cheers,
Tim.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi Tim,

Yes yet another interesting F1 Season to look forward to.
Let's see if they can stick to Racing & cut the politics a bit. Maybe that new Boss will introduce some common sense into the Arena
You've reminded me of something to post on the 2010 Activities list.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Who Goes Where In 2010

Post  A7ESK Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Who Goes Where In 2010
No.

Driver

Nat

Team

1 Jenson Button GB Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
2 Lewis Hamilton GB Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
3 Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes Grand Prix
4 TBA Mercedes Grand Prix
5 Sebastian Vettel GER Red Bull Racing
6 Mark Webber AUS Red Bull Racing
7 Felipe Massa BRZ Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
8 Fernando Alonso ESP Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
9 Rubens Barrichello BRZ AT&T Williams
10 Nico Hulkenberg GER AT&T Williams
11 Robert Kubica POL Renault F1 Team
12 TBA Renault F1 Team
14 Adrian Sutil GER Force India F1 Team
15 Tonio Liuzzi ITA Force India F1 Team
16 Sebastien Buemi SUI Scuderia Toro Rosso
17 TBA Scuderia Toro Rosso
18 Jarno Trulli Lotus F1 Team
19 Heikki Kovalainen FIN Lotus F1 Team
20 TBA Campos Meta
21 Bruno Senna BRZ Campos Meta
22 TBA US F1 Team
23 TBA US F1 Team
24 Timo Glock GER Virgin Racing
25 Lucas di Grassi BRZ Virgin Racing
26 TBA BMW Sauber
27 Kamui Kobayashi JAP BMW Sauber

Eddie King
A7ESK
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Formula1 chat - Page 5 4203109502_e85b7c9c97

Wot, No number 13???!!! Supersticious bunch of technofiles aren't they. Mind you, I was born on 13th May so I can't afford to be wary of No 13.
the83man
the83man
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:38 pm

the83man wrote:Formula1 chat - Page 5 4203109502_e85b7c9c97

Wot, No number 13???!!! Supersticious bunch of technofiles aren't they. Mind you, I was born on 13th May so I can't afford to be wary of No 13.

I don't think they'll let you "play" with that one Mike; worth a try though, check out the Reg's I think maybe you'll just need a Helmet Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_lol

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:01 pm

"Mad man takes early Christmas present for a spin" - comes to mind Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_exclaim Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_smile
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Just imagine; if Chapman had the spare cash for something like that back in his Youth, Lotus would probably not have been Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_pale

Is that front Axle hollow tapered like Bugatti's, oh & excuse my ignorance, but what is it?

John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty FERRARI CONFIRMS SCHUEY'S MERC F1 ASPIRATIONS

Post  A7ESK Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:24 pm

FERRARI CONFIRMS SCHUEY'S MERC F1 ASPIRATIONS
Luca di Montezemolo spills the beans at Ferrari Xmas lunch

Michael Schumacher has told his former Ferrari F1 boss Luca di Montezemolo there's "a very, very, very strong possibility" he'll be racing for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 next year.

Luca/Schuey F1 phonecall reportedThe rumours of a Schuey comeback with M-B have been circulating for weeks now, but this is the first 'concrete' quote on the subject from somebody intimately connected to the driving star.
Luca di Montezemolo held forth on Schuey's future at an annual Christmas bash for media on Thursday last week according to Autosport - who were lucky enough to get an invite. (Oddly, Mr di Montezemolo doesn't even send PH a Christmas card...)

"I hadn't spoken to him since Abu Dhabi but I spoke to him yesterday (Wednesday). He phoned me and he told me that there is a very, very, very strong possibility [of racing for Mercedes-Benz]. Having said that, it is not 100 per cent decided. But that is what he said yesterday morning," revealed the Ferrari boss - we'd like to think after a glass or two of festive Prosecco.

Autosport reckons the only thing now standing in the way of Schuey's comeback is the fitness issue, following the motorcycle accident that put the kybosh on a planned Ferrari comeback earlier this year.

The German star has been released from all remaining Ferrari commitments to clear a path for his return with M-B, they say.

Pistonheads report today

Eddie King
Very Happy
A7ESK
A7ESK

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:30 pm

A7ESK wrote:FERRARI CONFIRMS SCHUEY'S MERC F1 ASPIRATIONS
Luca di Montezemolo spills the beans at Ferrari Xmas lunch

Michael Schumacher has told his former Ferrari F1 boss Luca di Montezemolo there's "a very, very, very strong possibility" he'll be racing for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 next year.

Luca/Schuey F1 phonecall reportedThe rumours of a Schuey comeback with M-B have been circulating for weeks now, but this is the first 'concrete' quote on the subject from somebody intimately connected to the driving star.
Luca di Montezemolo held forth on Schuey's future at an annual Christmas bash for media on Thursday last week according to Autosport - who were lucky enough to get an invite. (Oddly, Mr di Montezemolo doesn't even send PH a Christmas card...)

"I hadn't spoken to him since Abu Dhabi but I spoke to him yesterday (Wednesday). He phoned me and he told me that there is a very, very, very strong possibility [of racing for Mercedes-Benz]. Having said that, it is not 100 per cent decided. But that is what he said yesterday morning," revealed the Ferrari boss - we'd like to think after a glass or two of festive Prosecco.

Autosport reckons the only thing now standing in the way of Schuey's comeback is the fitness issue, following the motorcycle accident that put the kybosh on a planned Ferrari comeback earlier this year.

The German star has been released from all remaining Ferrari commitments to clear a path for his return with M-B, they say.
Well I don't know; talk about going off Topic & hijacking a thread Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_lol
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 pm

the83man wrote:Formula1 chat - Page 5 4203109502_e85b7c9c97

Looks better in Red .
Formula1 chat - Page 5 Untitled

Eddie
A7ESK
A7ESK

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Formula1 chat - Page 5 4203965726_fc6e5397b3

OK, here's one with a helmet, on the line.

Eddie, You have too much time on your hands.

John, It's a 1929 Frazer Nash Super Sport, about 150 bhp from a Meadows 4 pot and therefore bloody quick.

I sprinted this at Goodwood in October (3rd in Class) but I don't own it - far too expensive and I'm much too long for it (NOT wide!) and found it difficult to drive as a result.

You're right John, I do need a (new) helmet as does anyone who competes because for 2010 the MSA has changed the acceptable standard.

BTW, I hope Shchue does maker it back into a GP car if only so that he can realise that he'spast it! The young'uns 'll tear him apart won't they??????
the83man
the83man

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:19 pm

A nice piece of Kit for sure.
The amount of remaining positive Camber is fair proof that you're not too heavy for the Car Mike Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_lol
With Schumi back it will be interesting, even if he can't make the pace he'll make the "young Guns" work very hard if they try to lap him.
With that & all of the other changes a promising start for an interesting F1 Season.
I wonder if the BBC will manage to broadcast any of the Races in HD?

I also wonder how Silverstone will be able to satisfy the organisers.
It's not long ago that they were told to build better Pit facilities, which has not happened, even though all of the Plans were made Public.
I hope you will be able to keep us posted on developments at Donington, a circuit close to my Heart.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 am

I'm too heavy for anything less than a V8!

Silvertsone are currently reworking the southern circuit but I don't believe that this will include the long planned F1 pit complex on the hangar straight because most of the work is for MotoGP (who committed to Silverstone long before Bernie did). There are some plans on their web site home page (Circuit TAB, half way down) at http://www.silverstone.co.uk/

I think BBC have said that some of the races will be in HD this year but I suspect there are all sorts of contractual problems with Mr E's television interests.

The administrators at Donnington have remained awfully quiet and a number of key staff (who might have been crucial to getting the thing going again) have been given their marching orders. There is still a lot of optimism among race organisers but no real evidence of where the admisistrators are looking at the moment. I've heard that they have advised the Wheatcroft family to sell it this time rather than let another lease. I will, of course, keep this forum up to date if I hear anything concrete.

Mike
the83man
the83man

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll look forward to your well informed updates.

Well it's been confirmed; Schumi's signed up with Mercedes for 3 Years!

Schummy returns

Last edited by GrumpyBodger on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Future of Donington Looks Good.......

Post  the83man Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 am

News Item

OK, here is some good news, apparently straight from the horse's mouth. Kevin's passion for motor racing is nowhere as strong as his father's was but I've met him several times and Iwould say that if he has said this to the local press then that is what he intends to do.

Mike

Future of Donington Park secure, says owner

Wednesday, January 06, 2010, 07:00
THE family which owns Donington Park claims the track's future is secure.

Kevin Wheatcroft, who worked at the track for 32 years, said work to reopen the venue is now underway.
It had been earmarked to take over from Silverstone as the host of the British Formula One Grand Prix from this summer but the deal was scrapped when businessman Simon Gillett's multi-million pound plans to upgrade the track fell apart.

The collapse of the planned upgrade led to worries about the future of the track.
However, Mr Wheatcroft, who worked there along with his father Tom, said: "I can reassure people we are doing everything we can to get things back to normal at Donington Park.

"It has been a very difficult time for the whole family, especially with the death of my father being played out against the problems at the circuit."

Mr Gillett's firm Donington Ventures, which had a 150-year lease on the circuit, was placed in administration in November, just over a week after Tom Wheatcroft died. No buyer was found and it reverted to the Wheatcroft family on Christmas Eve.

Mr Wheatcroft said: "We were given back the keys to the circuit and immediately started to work out what happens next.

"The first thing has been to try to save as many jobs as possible.

"As of this week, we have re-opened the museum and cafe and race control office."

Large sections of the circuit were dug up last year as work started in anticipation of Donington Ventures finding the money to create a Grand Prix standard venue.

He said: "We have been assessing what is required to put things back as they were. We reckon this will cost in the region of about £600,000. We want to get the place operational again.

"We owe it to the many people who have been loyal to us throughout this, including the fans, the race and rally organisers and our staff."

While all the speculation over the future of the Grand Prix – now bound for Silverstone instead – has gone on, Donington has lost the right to host the British Superbikes and Moto GP events.

Mr Wheatcroft said: "We are in talks about British Superbikes and its return can't be ruled out at some point, and maybe even the dream of a Grand Prix will be realised one day.

"First we need to sell the lease to someone who can run the circuit on a full-time basis.

"It's too big a job for us and we want to identify someone who can take it forward.

"There is no shortage of people interested and we have found 12 potential buyers for the lease in just 12 days."

Mr Wheatcroft hopes to announce in the next two or three weeks who has bought the Donington circuit lease.
the83man
the83man

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Yes that is very good news.
Let's just hope that they now get their fingers out & get the Circuit open for the Season.
I'm now looking for someone to put the blame on for landing Donington in such a mess & then walking away from it.
Heads should be rolling & Bank balances being searched. Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_twisted

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Latest Pres Release from Lotus F1 Racing

Post  the83man Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:18 am

LOTUS F1 RACING ONE WEEK AHEAD OF SCHEDULE

Mike Gascoyne, Lotus F1 Racing Chief Technical Officer, has confirmed this week that the team is a week ahead of schedule on its build process and making excellent progress in all key areas in its efforts to be ready for the forthcoming Bahrain Grand Prix in March.
Asked for an update, Mike said “We had been looking at firing up our engine for the first time on 12th February, but with the efforts everyone’s been putting in we have now been able to bring that forward to 5th February. This is obviously a great boost for everyone involved in the team, and shows how much hard work has already gone in since we had our entry confirmed on September 12th.

“With the engine fire up date now in the diary, we are also in a position to confirm that we will be on track for the first time at the third official test at Jerez from 17th February, and then at Barcelona from 25th February. We are also aiming to run chassis two for the last two days of that Barcelona test.”

Mike also looked ahead to the forthcoming season and announced that the development programme will see a major update at the Spanish Grand Prix in May. “We have said we are aiming to be ahead of the new teams when we all reach Bahrain, but we would also like to be pretty close to the midfield teams after the first few races of the season. The update we have planned for Spain will see a boost in performance when we reach Barcelona which will give us the chance to start fighting with the slowest of the established teams which, given progress so far, has to be the next goal for us.”

Last edited by the83man on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Font too small)
the83man
the83man

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Donington

Post  CAM Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Great News re Donington. It was one of the best circuits in the UK, lets hope they can put it back together this year and build a future for the place.

Chris Mayhew Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_exclaim
CAM
CAM
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:34 pm

CAM wrote:Great News re Donington. It was one of the best circuits in the UK, lets hope they can put it back together this year and build a future for the place.

Chris Mayhew Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_exclaim

I read somewhere that 6 to 12 Weeks is all that will be needed to re-instate the Circuit.
Let's hope that politics & paperwork don't interfere with the scheduling.
It's vital that Donington is ready for the oncoming Season, the loss of the Venue to all of the events lesser than F1 for just one Season would be dreadful for the Organisers & the missing income for Donington could spell terminal failure.
I'm keeping my Fingers crossed & trying to drink a Cup of tea at the same time Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_smile

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Lotus F1 Car to be unveiled....

Post  the83man Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:28 pm

This is the latest from the Lotus F1 Racing media pages......

Team Principal Tony Fernandes has confirmed that Lotus F1 Racing will unveil its 2010 challenger on 12th February. The location will be confirmed shortly.
the83man
the83man

Back to top Go down

Post  Atthelimit Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Living close to Donington the sorry saga of the track etc is often in the local newspaper and regional tv news.

The update above is great for the track, but in one of the local papers the other day, it stated that a lot of small local business contractors and firms that were supplying Donoington with equipenment and services may never recover.

One suppleir of barrier fencing is owed £36k with no prospect ogf getting it back, the stress has been so scvere the owner has had a stroke. To that particular firm that 36k was everything and they have been struggling to survive, the local hotels and the like have seen their bookings decimated with no racing and no events at Donington. Catering suppliers, the St Johns ambulance and even the local Police force have huge sums owing to them, lets just hope Donington gets up an running and that they can support through patronage some of the firms effected. Some of these face banckrupcy all because they have not been paid by Donington. (Not Weatcrofts)

It just seems that those in charge had no idea of project or financial management and have ruined many other peoples lives in the process.
Atthelimit
Atthelimit
East Midlands Area Meet Coordinator
East Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Putting it mildly, that makes sad reading indeed.
I can't say that any of it comes as a surprise to me though; it's what happens when bad decisions are made, then reversed & the perpetrators do a runner.
I really hope that someone in "authority" will lead an investigation into this whole bl--dy mess & ensure that Heads roll & that the Bills are paid by those responsible.
Taking another Tack on this.
Sums like 30k which are breaking the Backs of small Contractors are merely "Pocket Money" to many involved with Motor Sport.
A couple of "generous gestures" would also quickly resolve the problem. Wouldn't they?
I'm very worried that the longer the arguments go on & the longer the Circuit is unable to host events the deeper in debt & more unsalvageable the situation will become.
Serious action by those with the "powers" is needed now, not Tomorrow.
6-12 Weeks has been quoted as the time needed to get most things working again.
That would still give event organisers a good but tight time scale to organise events there for this Season.
The "Save Donington Campaign" is a great idea but it's not going to put the much needed Cash into the Coffers of those that are presently suffering.
The "big noises" that caused this mess are now sitting on their Tails in dark Corners & the must be taken to task!

Oooh that was one major Grump. Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_pale
I'll have to take a short nap Formula1 chat - Page 5 Icon_smile
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty launch of 2010 F1 car's

Post  Trigger Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:03 am

Mercedes, McLaren, Renault and Ferrari all launched their new 2010 cars this week. I have to say if Lotus can produce a car looking as good as that F10 Ferrari or Mercedes then it will be a welcome miracle. Please just don't look like that RenaulT!

Formula1 chat - Page 5 BlogSpan

Formula1 chat - Page 5 35_754862_1374827_3780_2520__V9F177

Formula1 chat - Page 5 40_R30-front
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tashuka Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:21 am

Trigger wrote:Please just don't look like that RenaulT!
that looks terrible, like vomit at high speed streaked down the back
tashuka
tashuka
Club Photographer & Forum Moderator
Club Photographer & Forum Moderator

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-07-15

http://www.tashuka.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Formula1 chat - Page 5 Empty Virgin Racing launch 'virtual' VR-01 F1 car

Post  Trigger Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Trigger