Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

door window frame

3 posters

Go down

door window frame Empty door window frame

Post  slowsprinter Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:37 am

Hi Elan folks

I am foolhardy enough to be about to embark on an elan sprint restoration. My project car is more or less complete. However crucially it is missing a drivers door frame (it is RHD). I know this item will be difficult to source. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can direct my search. I have just joined this club and look forward to picking the brains of you guys from time to time. Thank you.

slowsprinter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

door window frame Empty Welcome

Post  Trigger Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:40 am

Hello and welcome, there are certainly some Elan gurus online who I'm sure will try to help you.
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

door window frame Empty Re: door window frame

Post  GrumpyBodger Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Slowsprinter,

how strange having a frame missing!
Yes they are not easy to find, there was somebody remanufacturing them but at crazy prices & I no longer have any contact details.
It would be worth your while contacting Sue at "Mick Miller" she may have a used one
www.mickmillerlotus.com
Tel. 01728 603307
Paul Matty Sportscars is also a good address.
parts@paulmattysportscars.co.uk
Tel. 01527 835656
Elan parts do crop up on evil bay but prices can go through the roof if there are enough idiots bidding.

Good luck with your project.
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

door window frame Empty Thanks

Post  slowsprinter Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Thank very much for the welcome, chaps. I agree it is unusual to have a window frame missing! Basically the lotus was put upside down in a field some 20 years ago, it was then a FHC. A new chassis and body (DHC) was purchased for it and all the bits that could be salvaged were. The car has not moved a wheel since but one day I intend to change that.

The drivers window was a casualty of the crash, so now I need to source one which I think may be problematic. The other thing that may be a problem is the body shell, something was dropped on the windscreen frame and has broken it at each end. How difficult will this be to fix up? door window frame Icon_cry

I am grateful that I found such a good site as this to feed on all your hard won experience. I have never restored a car before but I am full of enthusiasm having loved the lotus elan since a boy.
Regards
Ian

slowsprinter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:54 am

The Windscreen Frame is a very weak area but is easy to repair with a little Glasssfibre repair knowledge.
When refitting the Windscreen to my Elan I was aware of how flexible this area is without the Glass.
I've seen recommendations for strengthening this area & bonding in some suitably formed Steel Rod is something that some owners have done.

Oh, by the way, some owners on LotusElan.net may be able to help you out in finding a frame.
It's rare that they put anything up for sale but when the questions asked it's amazing what turns up door window frame Icon_wink

Cheers
John

Last edited by GrumpyBodger on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional tip.)
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down