Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100

3 posters

Go down

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 Empty Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100

Post  Spunky Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100.

Hi there, after half a years ownership I was thinking of improving the braking performance on my 1995 M100. They currently feel a little ineffective. I was wondering if anybody out there has anyexperience they might be happy to share. I guess as with most things there is a range of improvements one can make dependant on cost. I was thinking initially about braided steel hoses as this shouldn't be too expensive and should yield some results. I guess I'm not looking for earth shattering performance or for radically changing anything, but I do remember seeing an impressive picture some time ago on the forum of some discs/calipers but can’t remember where. Cheers.

Spunky
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 Empty Re: Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi "Spunky",

to start off on the wrong foot I have to admit that I have no knowledge of M100 brakes.
Good start that, oh well.
Your description "ineffective" leads me to believe that you want more braking power?
I don't think that you'll achieve that with braided brake lines alone.
A load of us original Elan boys do use them to get a "harder pedal" where they do work.
I'm not too sure if the "feel" of servo powered brakes would improve with them though.
To be positive they will have greater longivity & your car's originals may be in need of replacement anyway.
Do they show any signs of blistering?
There are surely better brake pads on the market that could improve the brakes.
Other than that it will get expensive i.e. bigger brakes.

Good luck
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 Empty Re: Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100

Post  Spunky Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I've started with the basics, new brake fluid and pads (nothing special) and we'll see what that does first. Cheers

Spunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Spunky Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Hello again John,

I forgot to say no blistering, and also to ask if you know of a superior pad?

Cheers

Spunky

Back to top Go down

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 Empty Mintex 1144 or yellow stuff pads

Post  Trigger Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Spunky wrote:Hello again John,

Cheers

I would say something like the Mintex 1144 or yellow stuff pads would be a good top range pad to use? I have the green stuff pads on my big brake upgrade which I will post some more details on for you now.
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Spunky wrote:Hello again John,

Cheers

No I don't, but I know somebody who does Laughing

Give Classicar Automotive a call. They "know" about Lotus brakes.
Tel. 01625 860910
E-mail:- sales@classicbrakes.co.uk

They may even recommend red or green stuff but I doubt that very much Wink Wink

No connection but recommended by many others as well.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Spunky Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks,

I'll do that!

Spunky

Back to top Go down

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Last November I had an alternate Wilwood brake upgrade with dust seals put on the front of my Elan. Wilwood do offer an upgrade solution for the front of the M100 but there have been issues with them because they don't use the dust seals. The large 4-pot Wilwood calipers (Midilite) have a piston size of 35.1 which keeps the brake bias at 71.3:28.7 (stock bias of 70:30 split). 295mm grooved discs replace the 256mm stocks along with a set of green stuff pads (would have gone for red stuff but were out of stock). I also had stainless steel brake hoses installed all round. The total cost of the upgrade once fitted was about £700 but with the amount of use the car gets and for safety reasons it was a justified upgrade in my opinion. After a bit of time to bed the new brakes in it was immediate the difference in braking power and stopping distance. Although the upgrade takes time to warm up, once warm, the braking power is a significant improvement and when you do find yourself stepping on the brake pedal you will be happy with the results.

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 PICT0002

Only problem is now I am after an upgrade for the rear system. The chap who put together the upgrade kit is now doing one for the rears, which include a custom designed rear hub, and either stock size discs to work with the standard calipers or a further option to use Hi-Spec callipers and 256mm discs. I have chosen at current to order a set of the new hub designs to allow me to get some new, non corroded discs, and will give me the option to upgrade the calipers etc in the future.

Hub with disc for standard calipers
Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 RearBrakeUpgrade01

Rear hubs with Hi-Spec caliper upgrade
Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 RearBrakeUpgrade02
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Brake Upgrade/Improvements for Lotus Elan M100 Empty Wilwood

Post  Spunky Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info. They certainly look impressive! Where did you source the kit with seals?

Spunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Spunky wrote:Thanks for the info. They certainly look impressive! Where did you source the kit with seals?

From a chat called Bob Brown, he is Mr Brake expert and sourced the kit from Willwood. I know he is still offering group buys on both the front and the rear upgrades ... they ain't cheap but I think well worth having the fronts done.
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Spunky Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Thank you. I think I will follow that up. Just going to test out the effects of a some basic housekeeping first before making any changes. I was trying to follow a thread on the LEC website about brakes but they got so long and convoluted I was beginning to lose the will to live, (that and my short attention span).

Spunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:56 pm

Spunky wrote:Thank you. I think I will follow that up. Just going to test out the effects of a some basic housekeeping first before making any changes. I was trying to follow a thread on the LEC website about brakes but they got so long and convoluted I was beginning to lose the will to live, (that and my short attention span).

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes they do blabber on! Feel free to ask me any questions, I try to keep up to date with the know-how from LEC. You're not far from me either Wink
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down