Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars

3 posters

Go down

Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars Empty Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars

Post  Trigger Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:27 pm

In November last year I spent a fair amount of money on some large 4-pot Wilwood front brake calipars and discs to replace the stock ones on the Elan. Since then there are a few areas of the discs that have created a covering of rust. The main areas are the outside lip of the disc and along about half an inch of the inner section of the disc where the pads make no contact with it.

As these are so new I thought it would be a good time to paint these areas in some silver paint so to deter rust forming on them throughout the year. I spent hours yesterday with the front wheels off giving the arches and discs a good clean but failed to remove these rusted areas. With this in mind I am going to have a second go at them next weekend so am going to order a few materials to aid me.

I have ordered some of the Wynns Brake Cleaner so that I can give the discs a better clean without worrying about using solvents on the disc and also some Hammerite Smooth Finish Silver to paint onto the outer rim and the unused surface area of the disc.

I know a few people like Eddie have managed to do something similar to this so that the inactive parts of the brakes always look clean or at least not coated in rust. If anyone knows of anything better to use please let me know.

Thanks in advance ... CJ
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars Empty Re: Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars

Post  tashuka Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:05 am

as long as u don't go made cleaning the proton wheel, o wait it was me doing that last time
tashuka
tashuka
Club Photographer & Forum Moderator
Club Photographer & Forum Moderator

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-07-15

http://www.tashuka.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars Empty Re: Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars

Post  andyhodg Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:34 am

Trigger

I painted the non friction suface of the brake discs on my +2 with high temp silver paint. After some enthusiastic driving (well braking) I found that the that the silver paint was charred and black. I did paint the calipers with siver smooth hammerite and aprt from the fact that the fluid lost when bleeding the brakes melted the hammerite they have stayed pretty good and not affected by the heat.

I would not advise using hammerite on the discs you could try high temp paint. Just get the highest temp you can find.

Good luck

Andy
andyhodg
andyhodg
Lotus Drivers Club Member
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and Refurbing Brake Discs / Calipars Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks Andy ... I was swayed towards high temperature paint to begin with but wasn't sure which would suit the job the best. The discs are only a few months old so any rust that is on them is only a light covering so hopefully high temp paint will coat the few areas just enough for them to with stand coating themselves in rust.

Eddie I remember you mentioning to me at Stoneleigh last year about painting the out side rim of the discs in particular ... what paint did you use / advise.

Thanks ...

CJ
Trigger
Trigger

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down