Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1979 Eclat VIN Plate

4 posters

Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty 1979 Eclat VIN Plate

Post  ECLATMAN Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:04 pm

I am thinking of buying a 1979 Eclat. Is there a chassis number stamped on the car other than the plate riveted on under the bonnet and the plate in the bottom of the windscreen. 1979 Eclat VIN Plate Icon_idea

ECLATMAN

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 am

Hello and welcome ...

I can find no other recognition of it being stamped anywhere else apart from where the manual states. Maybe someone with an Eclat will be able to confirm this? Peter / Dan?

From the parts manual:
"Up until 1980, the method of identifying a vehicle is by the use of the Vehicle Chassis (Unit) Number which is stamped on a plate fixed to the right hand wheel arch in the engine compartment.
(There is also a plate visible through the windshield on the lower left corner.)"
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty vin no

Post  eclat22 Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:24 am

Hi, I have just looked at my spare chassis and it appears that there is a number stamped into it, from memory the race car is stamped in the same place, both chassis are s2 Eclat, it appears to be the chassis no. and can be found on the lower edge of the chassis on the off side ie right hand side just behind the front suspension upright, it should be visable from inside the wheelarch behind the front wheel.
Hope this helps
Good luck with your purchase
Regards Dan
p.s. check the chassis for rust especially where the rear of the car sits on itabove the diff.
eclat22
eclat22
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:53 am

Thanks for the reply Dan. Funnily enough I remember seeing the chassis number on my Elan stamped onto the suspension upright.
Trigger
Trigger

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty Eclat Chassis Number Stamp

Post  ECLATMAN Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:01 pm

ECLATMAN wrote:I am thinking of buying a 1979 Eclat. Is there a chassis number stamped on the car other than the plate riveted on under the bonnet and the plate in the bottom of the windscreen. 1979 Eclat VIN Plate Icon_idea
Hi, Thanks for the reply, I am still not that sure about the positioning, do you have to remove the wheel to see it or can you see it from under the bonnet. Would you be able to provide a photograph or a picture from the handbook. Many thanks Eclatman. 1979 Eclat VIN Plate Icon_smile

ECLATMAN

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty Re: 1979 Eclat VIN Plate

Post  eclat22 Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 am

Hi, if you look inside the wheel arch just in front of the footwell you will see the bottom edge of the chassis behind the engine mount, it is located horizontally along the bottom flange of the chassis or certainly is on the s2 chassis.
Hope this makes it clearer.
Regards Dan
eclat22
eclat22

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty only one number

Post  peter520 Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 am

Hi,
I can't remember ever seeing a second chassis number on my 76 model, it does have a new'ish dashboard so it would cover any stamping.
These are old'ys cars it's a chassis number not a VIN.
The book indeed say's after 1980 the VIN is on a plate & through the windscreen.
You can also check the engine number ( though mine has a replacement one), it's on top of the block where it mates with the gearbox, look down past the back of the cam cover.

( by the way - The M100 does have it's Vin on the rear suspension plate)

Hope this helps
peter
peter520
peter520

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

1979 Eclat VIN Plate Empty Re: 1979 Eclat VIN Plate

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content