Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norwegian newbie

4 posters

Go down

Norwegian newbie Empty Norwegian newbie

Post  b-havers Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi all,
a quick presentation.

I'm a norwegian Lotus enthusiast. Bought an Europa (Type 65) unseen from California some 11 years ago, and got a schock when it arrived. It was in need of a complete nut-and-bolt restoration...

I jumped to the job, but as the years went by, I more and more lost interest in the project.
Two years ago I sent the car to a local garage, to complete the techincal part of the renovation - and two weeks ago I got the car back in running order.
Now I only need to do some minor cosmetic works, together with a couple of small technical issues. Guess I'll be finished in time for the car to be taken into use early next summer.

During the work on the Europa, I needed another sportscar to drive, so I bought (and sold...) several different cars. MGB GT, Fiat Spider, Porsche 924, Matra Murena, Jaguar XJ6, Reliant Regal (...), Austin Healey Sprite etc.

Finally, I ended with a Caterham Supersprint, which was really big fun!
Unfortunately, this was a short cockpit edition, so I got a bit squeezed behind the wheel. The Seven was sold a couple of years ago.

Almost at the same time, I also bought an Elan +2S 130, from UK Sports Cars.
Seemed OK during testing and examination, but as soon as I got the car home I realized I had work to do.. New sill memberss, seat belts, brake and clutch repairs, new tyres etc.

Then I drove the car for a couple of years, util it took up serious smoking..
Engine has now been complete rebuild, and as I type the car is at a garage to fit new bushings all round, and new donoughts to the rear axle.

So, comes spring, I hope to have to two Lotus'es back on the road.

In addition to the two E's, I've got a Marcos 3-litre GT (V6) and an Austin Seven (1936).

My garage is a tribute to the geat british cars. See more at http://www.haverstad.net
b-havers
b-havers

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-18

http://www.haverstad.net

Back to top Go down

Norwegian newbie Empty Re: Norwegian newbie

Post  GrumpyBodger Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Welcome aboard Björn,

you'll find a friendly bunch on here.

I expect that you now know that Phrases like "Top Restoration", "Super Condition", & "Only slight paint work needed" are opinions & not facts Norwegian newbie Icon_lol

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  b-havers Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:51 pm

GrumpyBodger wrote:
I expect that you now know that Phrases like "Top Restoration", "Super Condition", & "Only slight paint work needed" are opinions & not facts Norwegian newbie Icon_lol

Cheers
John

I've learned the hard way.
The Europa was said to be 'in near mint condition' and 'used as a daily drive'.

I guess it was - 40 years ago.... Norwegian newbie Icon_twisted
b-havers
b-havers

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-18

http://www.haverstad.net

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi Bjorn, I've had a Europa Twin Cam, and know exactly where you are coming from although mine turned out fine in the end after nearly two years of hard work. I then sold it and covered most of my outlay but not all the heartache to get there. Still once you have your's sorted you'll know just what you've got and can continue to improve them for your benefit.
Keep us posted on how you get on enjoying the 'open road'.
Cheers,
Tim.

Last edited by TimS on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Norwegian newbie Empty Re

Post  Trigger Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:41 am