Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discover the new Abu Dhabi track

+3
Atthelimit
Trigger
A7ESK
7 posters

Go down

Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Empty Discover the new Abu Dhabi track

Post  A7ESK Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Have a look at this is this the way tracks to go .
Eddie .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8312853.stm
A7ESK
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 am

Must say I was very impressed with this new circuit, infact it seems nearly perfect by todays standards for a great Forumla 1 track. It is amazing what can be achieved in that part of the World in less than two years and I hate to say it but we have a long way to go before we can match somewhere like this in the future. Okay we have the historical circuits and very little cash available to be spent apparently, but just imagine what the Abu Dhabi event will do for their local economy and status! Maybe one day Silverstone will match this Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_lol

Discover the new Abu Dhabi track F1-circuit-004
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Empty Re: Discover the new Abu Dhabi track

Post  Atthelimit Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Is it just me then?

If you forget the hotel compelx and Ferrari World for a moment I thought the track was a bit "mickey mouse" as the saying goes.

Like so many tracks designed by Herman Tilke they fail to deliver fast flowing corners in the same way as what we now call the classic circuits. Spa, Silverstone ( better still before some of the changes) Suzuka, Monza and the like. We have also had attempts to build street circuits like Valencia and Singapore but which do not deliver the drama and magic of Monaco. It seems that tracks now have to be a mini resort, a destination rather than just a race track. If thats the commercial reality of it then fine, but at least build a track where there is some fast flowing corners and some real overtaking opportunities. (difficult I know) The one good aspect of the Abu Dhab track is that at some points there were small run of areas which might have meant that the spectators were closer to the action.

Take away the glitz of the lights and the posh buildings and suppose the track had been in the middle of a field somewhere I think we would have said the track was poor and provided dull racing. It is surprising that his circuit designs fail to provide the same excitement and drama of older tracks given the finances at his disposal and the fact that he used to race in touring cars at one time. He should have some first hand knowledge of racing on good circuits. The old Hockenheim for instance, before the changes that ruined it. ( Oh yes he designed the new layout) I know the Donington GP is not happening but actually what was wrong with the old track? Bring the facilities up to date for sure, pits, medical and media centres etc, build easy access routes in and out and we might have had a great GP, remember 93, I do I was there and a better race to watch is hard to imagine.

Did you see the AD track when the camera pulled back from it, it looks like the whole area is tarmacked so that you can layout as many different tracks as you want, just a shame then they actually chose that one to race on.

I sound more like Victor Meldrew every day!
Atthelimit
Atthelimit
East Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:50 pm

....do you? I DON'T BELIEVE IT....Victor Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_exclaim Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_exclaim Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_lol
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:38 pm

I agree with Kim. Not really any better than Valencia - which is awful! At least Valencia has some truly fast and demanding curves towards the end of the lap which seem to test the drivers' bravery but not a hope of much overtaking. If you put the AD circuit on an old airfield in Nothampton it just wouldn't be the same. Oh, and by the way, the daytime temperature is about 43degrees centigrade, so very, very unpleasant for everyone who isn't in the bloated hospitality areas (I used to live just up the road in Dubai so trust me on this one....).

Bernie's lost the plot. Simple as that.

He's also lost Toyota as at this morning!

And Jean Todt was the wrong man for president of the FIA.

Now can I have my grumpy old man crown???
the83man
the83man
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 pm

We already have Grumpy Bodger so I'm sure there is room for Grumpy Stripey Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_lol but at least you give us plenty to think about that generally stems from your huge experience and well travelled views..so keep on with the grumpy F1 views - we like them ...Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_exclaim

Cheers, Tim. Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_cheers
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:47 pm

My ears were burning Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_rolleyes
I share the views expressed; like most I felt compelled to watch Sunday's race & my immediate impression was that the Track looked like "Scalectrix"; all of the curves seemed to be "Small" ones or the alternative "Large" ones and they were joined together by different numbers of "Straights"
Oh and the Money that's been poured into that Complex for Bernie's once a year event is totally crazy.
How on Earth can any Circuit in Britain compete with that sort of Iinvestment & who needs those sort of facilities apart from Mr, Eccles------ I really do wish that "he" would fall in the Water!!! Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_twisted
(You have to be very ancient to understand that last statement Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_biggrin )
I have to admit to loosing interest in that race well before half distance; one of the most boring of the whole series.
Regarding modern Circuit design; I think that the Turkish Circuit is one of the best in the Calender.
Did the same man do that one? If so he's lost it IMHO.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  andyhodg Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:47 pm

I always beleived that being a bit on the grumpy side was good for. (Maybe not good for your nearest and dearest) but a recent article on the BBC news website has finally proved I'm right. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8339647.stm#startcontent.

I agree that these new glitzy circuits are not as good for the general spectator as the more traditional circuits, nor do they produce exciting racing.

I'm off to find something to compalin about!!

Regards Andy
andyhodg
andyhodg
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_idea Grumpy Bodger, Grumpy Stripey and now Grumpy Hodgy...you'll be forming your own breakaway F1 team at this rate ..'TEAM GRUMP' - has a nice ring to it - what colour and livery will you be choosing Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_question Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_smile

Tim (grumpy in training).
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Back to top Go down

Post  andyhodg Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:33 pm

The colour would have to be tweed with leather patches on the corners. The sponsers would be Saga, Complan and Horlicks!!

Andy
andyhodg
andyhodg

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Well it seems that the FIA are trying to encourage "Private Teams" (no wonder with so many manufacturers pulling out.
I think that the Grumpy Team will need to wait until we can be certain that there will be some suitable Tyres available & the demise of Dear Eccles.
Herring Bone Tweed & Levi's, nice, reminds me of my Mod Days Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_cry
I think that incontinence pants would be more appropriate than Nomex though Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_lol

Cheers
More than Grumpy today Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_wink
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  Atthelimit Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Herman Tilke did indeed design the Turkish Circuit which I agree is the best of the new crop by far. It just goes to prove the theory that if you put a monkey in front of a keyboard long enough, it will eventually manage to type out the Lords Prayer!

Following the wonderful news of our fledgling GP Team I have some suggestions.

The team colours should be nothing to garish, obviously. Perhaps beige with magnolia trim and matching cream overalls.

My nomination for the team name is TEAM GB, no not Great Britain, Grumpy Buggers of course.

Cars to be built by "Preperation H"

Team Drivers, anyone with and individuallity. Ones who will call the car a real dog if it is, will say the engines fu......d when there are bits of it lying all over the track rather than trotting out the normal line of "we are not sure what the problem is until we look at the data" and one who does not feel the need to thank everyone, the soil the circuit is built on, the "team", the sponsers, God I hope I didn't leave anyone out, the Pope, and anyone else who knows me for doing such a fanastic job all through the weekend when they have just finished sixth. Some one like Graham Hill, Bruce McLaren or James Hunt, but they would not even get a drive these days as they are not PC enough, not "on message" not good looking enough to model clothes etc. Never mind they were great drivers.

Must dash, need to pick a fight in a phone box now. ooh how old am I, phone box indeed sorry I meant my Bannana i rasberry, or something like that.

Sorry about that, another touch of the Victors Ms I think.
Atthelimit
Atthelimit

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Oooh that was a good Grump!

WELCOME TO THE TEAM KIM!!!.
We'll need to have a chat about the Team Colours though. Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_pale
Some Eye Candy for the TV Cameras will be needed; any Grumpy Girls out there? Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_lol

Finally:- "I'd like to thank all of the Team back at the Factory for all of the good work they've put in" (L.H.)
Bloomin' Prima Donna Discover the new Abu Dhabi track Icon_sad

PS Have a good Weekend
John (not so Grumpy Today)
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content