Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1981 Lotus Elite 2.2 S2

2 posters

Go down

1981 Lotus Elite 2.2 S2 Empty 1981 Lotus Elite 2.2 S2

Post  A7ESK Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:36 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1981-LOTUS-ELITE-2-2-S2-INTERESTING-HISTORY-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ360197375294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item53dd6fc53e#ht_1568wt_932

This is a 1981 Lotus Elite 2.2 finished in green and white with grey interior it has the classic 2.2 Lotus engine with manual transmission.

HISTORY.

I have a letter from Lotus Card Ltd after sales organisation dated 11 May 1992 stating that this car was one of only 94 built with manual transmission and was registered by Lotus and used as a company directors car.

I purchased the car about 14 months ago as a non runner i sent it to a local classic car garage who installed a new fuel pump and a set of plugs and subsequently got the car running for me, they then delivered it back to my house and i then planned to get the bodywork restored. The car has now been standing for 12 months as i have been involved in a building project and have not had the time for the car. As a result of the car being stood, whilst the engine turns over it does not want to start so is a non runner and will need to be trailered away. I do not think that it would be to much of a problem to get the car running as the car was running fine prior to being stood up.

BODYWORK.

This is in generally good straight condition apart from scrapes to the rear wing . The bodywork is also covered in small spots, i think these are called micro blisters this is why i wanted to have the bodywork restored. There are also some larger blisters.

INTERIOR.

Is basically sound apart from the headlining being a bit droopy, a hole in the drivers seat fabric where you get in and the interior could do with a good clean, carpets are not good in places.

I shall require a 25% deposit at the end of auction and the car to be collected in 7 days.

I am more than happy to answer any questions by telephone on 07778595135.

Overseas bidders please email contact details before placing any bids.

Seen this when i was looking around.

Eddie King
A7ESK
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

1981 Lotus Elite 2.2 S2 Empty Re: 1981 Lotus Elite 2.2 S2

Post  the83man Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:33 am

That looks like a lot of hard work but I hope somebody saves it.

There were a total of 132 S2.2 (this is the correct designation) Elites made so the letter claiming 94 cars with manual boxes is probably about right. Most of them were sold to dealers or used by senior officials at the factory because nobody was buying them – they were too expensive costing at the time more than a Ferrari 308GT4. Regrettably the reliability reputation of the car was scuppered in the early days of the S1 cars (1975 on) and nobody believed that the S2.2 would be so much better.

It was. It was faster, more tractable, waterproof, had an unbreakable (Getrag) gearbox and sound electrics. Nonetheless the reliability reputation killed second hand values and they mostly fell into the hands of people who could not afford to look after them properly. (See Chicane No 83 for more details)

This particular car has some very non-standard features, not least the paint and badging. It has after market intake filters. As I say, I hope someone saves it.
the83man
the83man
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down