Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

elise corrosion

4 posters

Go down

elise corrosion Empty elise corrosion

Post  Paul D13 Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 am

does anyone know where i can buy ali protecting products and new bretherble mats to protect and treat against corrosion under mats in wells
Paul D13
Paul D13
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

elise corrosion Empty Re: elise corrosion

Post  Trigger Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 am

Paul D13 wrote:does anyone know where i can buy ali protecting products and new bretherble mats to protect and treat against corrosion under mats in wells
I would be interested in this as well as the Elan has a thing with collecting water behind only the passengers seat. It has obviously been doing it for years and hasn't rotted the carpet at all but it would be nice to have some breathable mats for behind the seats and even under my nice Cream ones in the front.

Mind you if anyone ever complains of getting wet ... I will give them the lecture of the Classic British Sportscar ... who cares about the rain and water, especially when you're behind the wheel of a Lotus Twisted Evil
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  dpr59 Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:12 am

Aluminium won't corrode in the same way as iron based materials.

You might get a white surface deposition but that will be it.
Best to get the water out, or stop it getting in, but corrosion should be a problem.
dpr59
dpr59

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:15 am

its the problem im talking about. lotus said should be treated due to water and debrie getting under sound dedening mats in wells. all elises should have been done by main dealers during 6 year anti corrosion waranty. my one wasn't done. was told about product to protect it. but don't know where to get it.
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

elise corrosion Empty As stated by Lotus

Post  Trigger Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:24 am

Paul D13 wrote:its the problem im talking about. lotus said should be treated due to water and debrie getting under sound dedening mats in wells. all elises should have been done by main dealers during 6 year anti corrosion waranty. my one wasn't done. was told about product to protect it. but don't know where to get it.
February 2004
As stated by Lotus ...

Lotus is aware that a small number of Elise models factory fitted with synthetic mats in the footwells, have experienced some cosmetic corrosion of the top surface of the aluminium footwell floor panels.

Lotus has concluded its investigations and would like to thank its customers for their patience over the last few months, which has enabled us to fully research the issue and validate the solution. These extensive investigations involved both Lotus and independent testing laboratories undertaking tests in an attempt to replicate the corrosion under laboratory controlled conditions. Given the extremely unusual and unpredicted nature of the problem it took several months to recreate the corrosion in the laboratory using both automotive and aerospace accelerated testing methods. Only when Lotus was satisfied that it had scientific and proven evidence as to the cause was it able to proceed to develop and test an effective remedy. The cause of the corrosion was established as being a complex chemical reaction within the moisture and salts which tend to become trapped between the floor surface and PVC matting.

Lotus fully understands that this cosmetic corrosion has caused concern to some of the affected customers. It would like to reassure all of its customers that the footwell floors are not part of the primary load bearing structure of the car and that this corrosion does not compromise the integrity of the chassis.

All PVC based matting was deleted from production specifications of the Elise several months ago. Owners of Elise models factory fitted with either the black synthetic (rubber like) or grey synthetic chequer plate patterned footwell mats, are offered the opportunity to upgrade from these mats to new breathable black carpets. These breathable carpets will provide suitable ventilation of the footwell floor surfaces.

Lotus authorised dealers will be pleased to assess the footwell floor condition of your vehicle and then arrange a convenient time to carry out the appropriate improvements. Where little or no corrosion is evident to the footwell floors, a colourless anti-corrosion fluid will be applied to the footwell surface. In other cases, where more corrosion is evident, the original floor will be treated and a secondary floor panel will be bonded and sealed on top of each of the existing footwell floors. In all cases new breathable black footwell carpets will be fitted

Whilst the footwell condition of the majority of vehicles will not amount to a failure under the terms of the 8 year chassis anti-corrosion warranty provided with the vehicle, in order to maintain customers confidence, Lotus will, as a goodwill gesture, undertake the above treatment and improvements free of charge to any Elise within its 8 year chassis anti-corrosion warranty which was factory fitted with the PVC based floor mats (standard warranty terms and conditions will apply).

Lotus has released this statement at this time to reassure any concerned customer, and is in the process of obtaining stocks of materials and arranging appropriate dealer training. Any concerned customer should contact their authorised Lotus dealer from the end of March onwards to discuss appropriate arrangements. Customers may prefer to have this work carried out in conjunction with a maintenance service or other repair work and should therefore discuss this with their authorised dealer.

The U.K. Vehicle Inspectorate has confirmed to Lotus that as the footwell floors are not part of the primary load bearing structure and any corrosion of these panels does not compromise the integrity of the chassis, a corroded or perforated floor panel is not in itself grounds for a U.K. MOT failure. Any queries related to MOTs should be directed to the Vehicle Inspectorate. Enquiry Unit on telephone number 0845 6005977, quoting vehicle test station number and the date of test.

Lotus recommends that routine car cleaning and maintenance by Elise owners should include lifting the footwell carpets and cleaning and, if necessary, drying the floors.

Last edited by Trigger on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

elise corrosion Empty Maintenance

Post  Trigger Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:27 am

Owners may adopt the following routine maintenance practice:

* Remove any footwell floor covering to reveal the alloy surface.

* Using suitable hand and eye protection, wash the footwell floor and underside of the mat using a nylon brush and clean water (do not use soap solutions as these often have a high salt content).

* Mop the floor using paper towels and allow the floor and mat to dry thoroughly before refitting the mat.

* Refit the mat using a 25 mm wide strip of double sided tape only along the rear edge.

* It is important to lift the mat periodically and wipe the floor and mat underside to ensure the area is kept dry.
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:50 am

cool, sounds like an easy solution, have to do soon.may even do it tomorrow .ta

Last edited by Paul D13 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

elise corrosion Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 am

Paul D13 wrote:cool, sounds like an easy solution, have to do soon.ta
lol ... that's what I've researched about it so far anyway ... will Lotus not still perform this recall on your Elise?
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:41 am

don't think so, i will ask next time it goes in 4 sirvice. they were quite clever in as much as it wasn't a proper recall.don't think is to costly to do providing corrosion hasent set in.
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Paul D13 wrote:don't think so, i will ask next time it goes in 4 sirvice. they were quite clever in as much as it wasn't a proper recall.don't think is to costly to do providing corrosion hasent set in.
Ye I can imagine but like you showed me over the weekend at least others cannot see the effect but unfortunately its one of those things you know is there but I'm sure it is sortable. Keep on the case ... Wink
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:53 pm

you know me. will have a word with people at lotus to see what can be done.re protection etc.
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Paul D13 wrote:you know me. will have a word with people at lotus to see what can be done.re protection etc.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mind you that reminds me about my tickets ... must try and sort that asap.
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:15 pm

go get em. mate Twisted Evil
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:36 am

took out mats, not to hard a job to be fair,corrosian was quite bad, will have to speak to somone and possibly buy some protective gunk at Hethel next month
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Paul D13 wrote:took out mats, not to hard a job to be fair,corrosian was quite bad, will have to speak to somone and possibly buy some protective gunk at Hethel next month
At least it is easy to get to and there must be some product or company that will supply something to protect the corrosion.
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:54 am

hope so. been told so, not sure if it is a lotus product though. soon find out
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:02 am

If not it may be worth talking to some specialst companies about it. I have had a quick look around and found a UK based company called Rustmaster that deal with all sorts of anti-corrosion techniques, whether they would have a solution for corrosion like in the case of the Elise or not I'm not sure.

http://www.rustmaster.co.uk/
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:09 am

cool thanks 4 that. will speek to lotus at hethel first though .ta
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  softlips Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm

POR 15 is the stuff to use from Frosts, you get plenty with the starter kit.

softlips

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 pm

softlips wrote:POR 15 is the stuff to use from Frosts, you get plenty with the starter kit.

I may get hold of some of this to try on my Elan in the boot on some metal brackets and a few other areas. Have you had experience of using this? pictures would be a plus too lol? Had a quick search and found some on flea bay?

POR15 Rust Prevention Paint
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  softlips Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm

I've bought the stuff - but not got around to using it yet!

Plenty of people on SELOC and NYLOC have used it though.

softlips

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul D13 Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 pm

sounds like the trick, where can i buy some?
Paul D13
Paul D13

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigger Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Paul D13 wrote:sounds like the trick, where can i buy some?

It seems to be readily available ... I found some on flea bay but should shop around on the net for 5 mins if I were you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380091247468&cguid=08a95b7611e0a0e201e0f920fcc84435

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_detail.asp?productID=9069&frostProductName=POR+15+Rust+Prevention+Paint+(473ml)
Trigger
Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post  softlips Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:54 am

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9253&frostProductName=Black%20POR-Starter%20Kit

Frosts do it - see above, it comes in different colours in a kit with everything you need.

softlips

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down