Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And now for something completly different

4 posters

Go down

And now for something completly different Empty And now for something completly different

Post  GrumpyBodger Fri May 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Discussions are slowly coming to their closing stages in Germany regarding the saving of Opel & its independancy from GM.
GM will soon be filing for bankruptcy so things now have to happen fast.
English TV news seems to take it for granted that Vauxhall will safely fall under the Opel blanket!
Do they think that the German Government & Taxpayers will want to spend cash to rescue a British company whilst the German company will have to seriously cut back & also sack employees regardless of what cash input they may receive?
I think that it is possible that Vauxhall will be in for a very big surprise in the near future?
Can somebody explain exactly what Vauxhall does, other than build Opels & stick Vauxhall badges on them?
Provoketively put admitedly, but how much of the design, development & production processes actually occur in GB?
If they only offer an assembly facility & car sales continue to slump then that facility could possibly be discarded.
I think that the future of Vauxhall is looking extremely dodgy.
What am I missing when thinking all of that? Rolling Eyes

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

And now for something completly different Empty Re: And now for something completly different

Post  A7ESK Sun May 31, 2009 11:04 am

Its about time our government looks after there own will it happen NO .

The car industry is under alot of pressure or i should i say survive 2009-2010.

As for Vauxhall or Opel your wright on the nail on that we all can see what the out come of that will be.

I say buy British build cars ?

Eddie. Laughing
A7ESK
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

And now for something completly different Empty Re: And now for something completly different

Post  GrumpyBodger Sun May 31, 2009 1:00 pm

Well it seems now that Magna will have control of Opel etc.
Large cuts in jobs but no closure of any of the German plants (so far)
The next few weeks will be "interesting" for Vauxhall to say the least Rolling Eyes
I wonder what Gordon's answer to it all my be. Does he know what's going on? Sleep

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:07 pm

I think your comments could be right on it John, but we will have to wait & see. I wouldn't believe anything said either by our so called government or the car industry. We haven't been in times like before and I'm not sure any of them know what they are doing, lets face it the car industry has been pushing out cars to everyone who 'wants' a new one but doesn't really 'need' a new car for years, but now they have realised when cash it tight that the second hand one is actually still very good and serves its purpose perfectly well so why buy a new one? I think it will be a very long time, if ever again that new cars sell in the same quantities they used too, so I don't think Vauxhall will have an easy ride once the new ownership is fully implimented, but then what do I know...my GM Saab went back at the end of it's lease in March, they were desparate to sell it and get the cash, so what is going to happen to Saab as well?
Cheers, Tim.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Update.
GM plans to close or mothball up to 14 US plants and almost halve its 54,000-strong US workforce.

Here in Europe, The German government approved the sale of Opel and Vauxhall to a consortium led by Magna, but in spite of reassurances from business secretary Peter Mandelson about Vauxhall manufacturing in the UK, no clear picture has emerged as to where the axe will fall to fix the European over-capacity problem.

Saab, also owned by GM, is up for offer as a separate entity – with Swedish supercar maker Koenigsegg recently emerging as a possible bidder.

Today is also a key date for Chrysler, as last night a US bankruptcy court approved its sale to Fiat.

What next ?
Eddie King . Shocked
A7ESK
A7ESK

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Vauxhalls built in Russelsheim maybe?
Mandelson & Brown what a deadly concoction; "no clear picture", now where have I heard that before? affraid
I don't follow the Fiat / Chrysler thingy either, Fiat are up against the wall as well.
Smokescreens & subtifruge comes to mind Rolling Eyes
Things will get quite interesting.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 pm

So let me see if i forget that i finished paying my mortgage of i can still claim for it on two homes or a duck house in the middle of the pond you really could make this up.

That,s how bad its got for the Government.

LDV going into receivership where the money they promised to help this company out.

They talk the talk and nothing happens,its time they came up with real money to help these companies out you only have to look at Europe to see what there doing.
Sorry for the moan i herd enough bull $ from Mr Brown.

Yours Oliver Cromwell sorry Eddie King.

Suspect
A7ESK
A7ESK

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am

The expenses scandal is indeed deplorable.
However I have the feeling that this is the "Smokescreen"
There's nothing new here, Politicians have been screwing the system for an eternity, so why now give the Press access to such information?
Holding their hands up to this one may be a cheap "out" for many who may know the worst.
Pure conjecture on my behalf cyclops but I consider that the "Bubble" has not burst yet, but is just leaking a bit. Rolling Eyes

However, back to topic; things have gone quiet on the Vauxhall front. German industry & other businesses in extreme difficulty are very upset about the governments solution to the Opel problem.
This is still going to be a very interesting "space" to watch.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Yes John, I'm sure it will get much more interesting yet.
My business sells electrical & safety equipment to industry. Things are really tough, but definately seem to be getting worse not better. Lots are holding back with orders, several of our customers can't get finance to build machines, competitors are selling off stock cheap (some 20% lower than the usual low) and orders are slowing rapidly so there definately won't be money going into the system for the public to buy new cars, oh, and the Health & Safety mandatory sign for offices has been up-dated by some bureaucrats so they want us to all buy new ones Mad and get this, because I have a large American supplier we have been on an Anti-Bribery course and have to register to be monitored anually (which of course they charge £500 a year to do) Exclamation Rolling Eyes oh well the sun's out, and I'm looking forward to Snetterton in a couple of weeks.
Cheers, Tim.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:44 pm

That reminds me of a visit to Halfords.
Having bought 5 litres of anti freeze I asked the spotty thing at the cash desk if there was a possibility of him finding an empty one in the service dept. (for mixing purposes).
Spotty one: " Oh no Sir health & safety you know"
Me: But I've got one full of, oh never mind"
GB's gone bonkers. There must be 1000's of people in full time employment just doing "Health & safety"
How much does all that put on the cost of a product??
Relatively speaking Germany has become a much free'er land over the years compared to GB.
I can fully understand your frustration.
Sun's over the Yard Arm here, so time to crack open a beer.
Have a nice evenung regardless.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey Ho !
Can't think of a witty reply as I'm just about to do battle with British Gas, Rolling Eyes our new tarriff for electricity supply here at work confirms they want to increase the prices by 124% Exclamation Exclamation

Cheers,
Tim.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Back to top Go down

And now for something completly different Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:54 pm

TimS wrote:Can't think of a witty reply as I'm just about to do battle with British Gas, Rolling Eyes our new tarriff for electricity supply here at work confirms they want to increase the prices by 124% Exclamation Exclamation

I'd suggest politly that they are missing a decimal place in there.
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:43 pm

TimS wrote:Hey Ho !
Can't think of a witty reply as I'm just about to do battle with British Gas, Rolling Eyes our new tarriff for electricity supply here at work confirms they want to increase the prices by 124% Exclamation Exclamation

Cheers,
Tim.

And "THEY" told us that gas from the continent would be much cheaper than North Sea gas ever was Evil or Very Mad
Look on the bright side when someone across the Channel starts throwing their Teddies out of the Pram they might also decide to turn the tap off.
Talk about screwed up confused

Take the Lotus for a spin this evening; things will feel a lot better Smile

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 am

GM sells SAAB to Swedish buyer!
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum