Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helmets

+5
the83man
TimS
GrumpyBodger
eclat22
Shuffty
9 posters

Go down

Helmets Empty Helmets

Post  Shuffty Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but I am after some advice on helmets. I am thinking of going to Curborough with my wife and I have looked on the web for helmets but I have not a clue what to get. I do not want to pay a lot so is second hand the best way to go?

Cheers

Mark
Shuffty
Shuffty
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Back to top Go down

Helmets Empty Re: Helmets

Post  eclat22 Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi, it very much depends upon what you intend on doing, if it is just track days and the introduction to sprinting that LDC run then as far as I know any crash helmet will do ie motorcycle helmet or race car helmet, If it is your intention to get into motorsport then I would check the MSA website www.msauk.org I believe that the competitors rule book is on the site, if you look at section C competitor safety it lists the specifications that the helmet has to have, be careful though as I believe that certain standards could soon be withdrawn. you could also try www.hedtec.co.uk they do budget motorsport helmets.
Regards Dan
eclat22
eclat22

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuffty Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:48 pm

It would be just for track days, so a motorcycle helmet would do?

Thanks
Shuffty
Shuffty

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 am

But don't buy 2nd Hand!
Could've been worn by a greasy Rocker with Nits & Fleas Helmets Icon_lol

But seriously, always go for new you just don't know what sort of mistreatment a used Bone Dome has been subjected to.
You may need it to save your Life one Day, not just to "comply with the Reg's".

John
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:10 am

Hear hear John....I agree - don't compromise - it may save your life. I got mine from Demon Tweeks, although I think there might be a helmet supplier at Silverstone Helmets Icon_question .

Tim.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:37 am

Don't scrimp on a helmet and look after it properly. For 2010 the MSA approves the following standards, (usually found on a label inside the lining)

FIA 8860-2004.
SNELL SA2005.
SNELL SA2000*.
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A.
BS 6658 Type A/FR.

However, if you are buying new make sure you go for the latest possible standard (e.g SNELL 2005 rather than 2000) as it will have a longer (approved) life assuming it remains in good condition. There will be SNELL 2010 standard released later this year that is likely to be approved for the next 10 years....

However, if you are 'only' doing track days then no particular standard applies but youhead will still take the same sort of crack as it would in a race if something goes wrong so, best advice is - don't compromise.
the83man
the83man
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Pesky Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:44 am

Also, unless you also intend using a "Hans Device" (unlikely unless you're racing), don't buy a helmet with the "Hans Posts" already fitted - that definately means that the helmet is deemed to be for leisure purposes & therefore subject to VAT. On the other hand, helmets which are deemed to be "safety items" (eg motorcyclist helmets, & many car helmets) are usually exempt from VAT.

Most circuits will require you to wear a full face helmet, if you're in an open top car too.
Pesky
Pesky

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuffty Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks for the advice, I have not picked up the car yet so I am jumping the gun a bit and if I suggest to the wife spending any more money I may get lynched. I am going to the Malvern show so I will take a look around then. By the way I joined the club last night so I may see some of you around.

Cheers

Mark
Shuffty
Shuffty

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Shuffty wrote:Thanks for the advice, I have not picked up the car yet so I am jumping the gun a bit and if I suggest to the wife spending any more money I may get lynched. I am going to the Malvern show so I will take a look around then. By the way I joined the club last night so I may see some of you around.

Cheers

Mark

Welcome to the club .

Come and see us at the stand .

Eddie King. bounce bounce bounce bounce
A7ESK
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuffty Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I think I've met you already at Sliverstone last Saturday (Silver BMW)?
Shuffty
Shuffty

Back to top Go down

Post  Atthelimit Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Welcome Shuffty.

I echo what everyone else has said on helmets, all good advice. However, you could just borrow one from a mate for the day. The Curborough meet is low key and as such we don't dictate the latest standards etc, juts something that fits correctly and makes you safe. Obviously if you then go on to do lots of trackdays or even to compete then getting your own helmet to the correct spec is the way to go.

You didn't say what car you are picking up, is it an Elise?

Kim
Atthelimit
Atthelimit
East Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuffty Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes it's an Elise 111R 2006 but it's the wife's really. We pick it up on Saturday.
Shuffty
Shuffty

Back to top Go down

Post  Atthelimit Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 pm

You will have to be a very good boy from now on then so that your wife lets you drive it. Just think of all that washing up and ironing your going to have to do!

LOL Helmets Icon_biggrin
Atthelimit
Atthelimit

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Shuffty wrote:I think I've met you already at Sliverstone last Saturday (Silver BMW)?
yes that's correct how was the magazine .
Eddie
A7ESK
A7ESK

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuffty Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Good , got it by my side now.
Shuffty
Shuffty

Back to top Go down

Post  Pierre LP Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 am

Try a number of helmets on before you buy as they do vary quite a lot. It has to feel very snug to be most effective. Buy the best you can afford. I always wear a balaclava with mine as that keeps it fresher and reduces the amount of cleaning. Use a specific helmet cleaner... the one I use is only £3 and lasts ages.
Pierre LP
Pierre LP

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-03-12

http://www.top-oils.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum