Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Silverstone's got it!

Go down

Silverstone's got it!

Post  TimS on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Well there it is then, just announced, Silverstone has the F1 GP for 17 years!
Great news, we can now go along and cheer on the new Lotus F1 team in Northamptonshire, and of course its just down the road from its engine supplier as well!

Cheers, Tim.
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Silverstone's got it!

Post  GrumpyBodger on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Well at least that's settled. It looked like it was going that way.
Now what's worrying for me is the future of Donington; my favourite Circuit.
What's the state of the game there, half ripped up Track, ripped down Buildings & partly built ones?
Has anyone taken a look around there recently?
I hope that they can get themselves sorted & that the Lotus Festival can return there soon.

Cheers
John

P.S. wot 17 years, how on Earth did they manage that sort of agreement
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:58 pm

GrumpyBodger wrote:Well at least that's settled. It looked like it was going that way.
Now what's worrying for me is the future of Donington; my favourite Circuit.
What's the state of the game there, half ripped up Track, ripped down Buildings & partly built ones?
Has anyone taken a look around there recently?
I hope that they can get themselves sorted & that the Lotus Festival can return there soon.

Cheers
John

P.S. wot 17 years, how on Earth did they manage that sort of agreement

Yes your right there John, I've not been to Donington since See Red, but I was reading my copy of Classic & Sportscar this morning and the obituary of poor old Tom Wheatcroft - what a shame the year he passed away saw Donington turned into such a mess, so let's hope this now enables them get on and re-build it back into the track we all loved before- but better with everything working properly!.
Cheers.
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CAM on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 pm

Apparently,
Donnington track can be reinstated at a cost of approx 1M leaving the existing infrastructure as it is/was.
So, I am starting a whip round now!!!.
John you are correct it is a good track, worth saving.
CAM
CAM
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-08-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:17 pm

CAM wrote:Apparently,
Donnington track can be reinstated at a cost of approx 1M leaving the existing infrastructure as it is/was.
So, I am starting a whip round now!!!.
John you are correct it is a good track, worth saving.
CAM.

I'd have a look in my wallet but I'm trying to buy a new Lotus so the cash will be spent there instead .... but it's definately worth saving, I'm sure the wheels are already in motion...what's the news on the street Mike?
Cheers,
Tim.
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm out of work & presently living with the help of unemployment benefit.
No need to send Donations though; there is a bit stuck away in the bank earning phenomenal Interest

Maybe my Logic is wrong but someone somewhere who was responsible for the decision/indecision should be digging his hands into his Pockets.
After all he is ancient & can't spend all of his Millions before he goes to meet his Maker.

Whilst they are at it reinstating the Circuit, I'd like to see that funny bit of extra Straight & Hairpin, used for the so called GP Circuit, disappear & be replaced with a bit more "Infield" visible Track.
Comments?

In any case I hope they get everything sorted soon, otherwise they will continue to loose valuable income.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:02 pm

We're waiting for an announcement from the administrators, probably tomorrow (Friday). Many believe that it will become another MSV circuit (with Brands, Oulton, Snetterton, Cadwell). I've also been told that estimates to restore Donington to full working order are somewhat inflated and that it could be done for much less than the oft quoted 1m. If MSV do take it on I would expect Jonathan Palmer to get it operating again within a couple of months. MSV have done well at brightening up the other circuits they run.

I hear that certain senior circuit staff have been dismissed which might suggest that a new buyer wants to put his/her own people in there.

There's quite a lot, including an interview with Mr Gillette in this week's Autosport. Don't believe any rubbish you read in the tabloids (esp the Times!) about clubs not wanting to race there. WE ALL WANT TO RACE THERE and I'm sure the administrators have got that message.

I just hope it is back on stream soon.
the83man
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for the up-date Mike, I'm loking forward to going back there in 2010, as you say if Jonathan Palmer is involved then I'm sure it will be re-built to a good standard.

Cheers,
Tim.
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content