Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012

5 posters

Go down

New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012 Empty New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012

Post  A7ESK Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:33 pm

New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012 452865193-1

Artists have provided us with this rendering of the 2012 Lotus Esprit, a potential competitor to the Audi R8. The British automaker had previously confirmed plans to bring the iconic sports car to market for the first time since 2004, if they sell enough current models to pay for the project.

First produced in 1976, the original Lotus Esprit was based on the 1972 Italdesign concept shown at the Turin Motor Show. Created by legendary designer Giorgetto Giugiaro, the Lotus Esprit was released as a well handling, but underpowered sports car. It gained in popularity through an appearance in The Spy Who Loved Me when it served a dual-purpose as a submarine. With each successive model, the car gained more power, leading to the 350 hp Lotus Esprit V8. In its 28 year run, 10,675 units were sold.

If released, the new Esprit would have a mid-mounted V8 engine, but where they get the engine from is anyone's guess. The company could stick with Toyota, who provides the 3.5-liter V6 on the Lotus Evora. Toyota currently produces several V6 models, including an aluminum-block unit which powers the Toyota Supra GT500 racecar. The upcoming Esprit should be both wider and longer than the Evora, evoking a more supercar feel.

Mixing this idea with the round, curved features at the front-end of the Evora and Elise, the artist's drawing shows an Esprit that looks like it belongs in the current Lotus lineup. Drawing off one of the first released shots of the Evora, the artist widened out the front end, adding a larger grille, while extending the height of the fenders. Turn signals are integrated into the angular side mirrors, matching a more defined style on the side panels. The boot is longer, but the artist kept the wheels right at the very end of the car. This drawing also features a unique, dual-spoke light-weight wheel.

With any luck, the new Lotus Esprit will be introduced in 2011 as a 2012 model year car.

Eddie King .
A7ESK
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012 Empty Re: New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012

Post  rocket63 Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:07 am

With any luck, it will look nothing like that. Looks like an Evora and nothing more.
rocket63
rocket63
Lotus Drivers Club Member
Lotus Drivers Club Member

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-07-28

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/index.php?&autocom=regist

Back to top Go down

New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012 Empty Re:

Post  Trigger Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:24 pm

rocket63 wrote:With any luck, it will look nothing like that. Looks like an Evora and nothing more.
I'm sure the Esprit model won't bare too much resemblence to the current Evora although after seeing both McLaren's new MP4-12C and Ferrari's 458, and seeing thier similarities in style and design, I do hope Lotus can produce something special for the Esprit. My question is why if some of the best classics and original cars look so good and distinguishable, why don't they make some more.
Trigger
Trigger
Website and Forum Manager
Website and Forum Manager

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2008-07-14

http://www.lotusdriversclub.org.uk

Back to top Go down

New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012 Empty Re: New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012

Post  GrumpyBodger Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Yes it is a shame that some of the old greats cannot be reincarnated but unfortunately it's the same old story of Regulations, Emissions etc.
Car makers are forced to comply or pay massive penalties to produce cars that don't comply; so it would be possible but most likely financially suicide.
Kit car makers have found a way around the potholes but every single car has to be individually inspected for all sorts of things at the cost of the Builder/Owner.
Even there I believe a few blind Eyes are turned; something that would not occur wihen dealing with "quantity manufacturers"
In it's time the Elise was (IMHO) an Engineering miracle.
(Try to watch the Development of the 111 which should still be available on DVD)
Lotus managed to provide a design that was small, fast, lightweight & complied with all of the current regulations (in most parts of the World).
I'm not sure if they are now legal in USA, but that is "the" market that Sports Car makers aim their sights.
The original Elan was marketed way before the MOT was even dreamt of, let alone every other regulation that has come into force since.
There is no way that my lovely Elan could ever be marketed again.
If you look at its construction & in fact any Backboned Chassis Lotus the safety of the Passender & Driver, especially in side impact crashes is practically zero.
I love driving my little "death trap" but in today's traffic you must learn to drive defensively & be aware of every risk that may await you around every corner.
A much maligned little Sports Car is the Mazda MX5 (Miata) which outwardly looks like an Elan, is very reliable & with a bit more power would be a great drive.
Mazda did a great job of encompassing the charms of an Elan but also making a great little everyday driver.
All of that of course done whilst complying with the strangling Worldwide regulations we have to live with today.

Cheers
John

Last edited by GrumpyBodger on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 am

Well done John, very interesting and concise, you sum it up wonderfully.
What about the after market roll cages etc for Elans, don't they have bars down the side to give some extra protection or am I wrong?

Cheers,
Tim.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Yes there are variations of Roll Cages & Roll Bars that include "side intrusion Bars".
I bought the kit to fit into my Elan S4 as can possibly be seen in the Photos I sent some time ago.
The side intrusion bars run from front to back through the Sills.
Being so low down they offer very little if no protection from side impact either on the Road or under racing conditions.
However those bars join the front of the central backbone chassis via a tubular support that is (I'm told) very useful in preventing front Wheel intrusion during an accident.
In fear of making myself look laughable (well why not), I actually binned my side intrusion bars, one reason was not wanting that support bar down where me feet are
The primary reason for me actually fitting the Roll Bar:-
The Elan is tiny & very low thus being easily overseen on today's roads.
Even back in the 70's when driving a Lotus 7, I became aware of how low down you are & can be overseen by other road users (Yes there's good story lurking there!)
So (starting a Sentence oddly), I decided that my Elan would have a 3rd Brake light mounted on a Roll Bar in order to improve my "visibility".
A set of loud Air Horns supplement the 3rd Brake light together with a pair of bright lights hidden behind the intake Grill to act as rapid Flashers (as opposed to the slow pop-up Headlights).
All sounds a bit agressive, but in fact those weapons are very rarely used; but who enters into a fight unprepared New Lotus Esprit set for Release in 2012 Icon_smile

Cheers
John

Last edited by GrumpyBodger on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrumpyBodger
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TimS Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Interesting..I understand more now thanks.
TimS
TimS
Chicane Magazine Editor
Chicane Magazine Editor

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down